Before starting chapter one, a few background basics.
From the Ryrie Study Bible
(Solomon is identified as the author, although that could also be read, "concerning Solomon". However, Ryrie seems to think is is most probably Solomon.
Date: 965 b.c.
Title: Also known as the Song of Songs.
Other background info.
- lyrical poem in dialogue form
- Some think it's just an allegory to express the love of God
- More commonly, think it is a historical story of Solomon's romance with the Shulammite girl, one of or his only true love.
From the NIV Chronological Bible
- Some think it actually a 3 way conversation, to include Solomon talking to the beloved and the Shulammite girl
- They also mention the allegory to God's love as a possible interpretation.
This introduction also mentions that Solomon may not be the author. It could either be able an "ideal Solomon" or "written in the manner of Solomon."